So, you've decided to quit smoking or help a loved one quit?
Help is just a click or phone call away.
The Missouri Tobacco Quit Line
American Cancer Society Quit Line
National Cancer Institute
Great Start -- Counseling and Information Services for Pregnant Smokers
Tips to help you beat the craving
- Drink plenty of water.
- Suck on sugar free, cinnamon flavored candy.
- Take deep breaths.
- Count backwards from 100 slowly… by the time you get there the urge to smoke will have passed.
- Stir sticks or straws can be used for hand/mouth repetition.
- Chew on sugarless gum.
- Leave all ashtrays, matches, lighters and tobacco products in your car or at home.
- Keep your hands busy. Play with a paper clip, pencil or rubber band.
- Brush your teeth.
- Eat celery and carrot sticks.
- Use nicotine replacement therapy (i.e. nicotine patch, gum, or nasal spray).