The Hospitality & Restaurant Administration (HRA) department prepares students for managerial positions in hotels, restaurants, resorts, casinos, institutional foodservice, special events, catering, and many other areas. Students in the major choose to pursue one or more of the following options: Lodging, Food and Beverage, Senior Living, Club Management, Tourism, and General Operations.
The department boasts two active student organizations, opportunities for experiential learning, access to many industry professionals, and an active alumni and advisory group. A dedicated Recruiters' Fair is held every March and October, enabling students to obtain positions with leading regional and national hospitality firms.
The HRA student body is vibrant and diverse. Over 15% of majors identified themselves as members of racial or ethnic minority groups, and our current students represent a number of different countries including Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, France, China, Sweden, and Barbados. Nine states are represented and include Arkansas, California, Kansas, Illinois, Missouri, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Wisconsin. Efforts to increase the multiculturalism of our student population are on-going and include study abroad opportunities to various parts of the world.
The HRA faculty is comprised of a group of individuals with numerous publications and presentations who hold leadership posts in various international and regional associations and organizations. They have won many teaching and service awards, and are highly regarded for their dedication and commitment to hospitality education.
General Student Learning Outcomes for all HRA majors:
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of leadership theory and the relationship between ethical leadership, corporate culture, and performance.
- Students will interact effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Students will engage in community activities directly benefitting the broader community.
- Students will acquire and demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of hospitality industry knowledge.
- Students will engage in learning activities that provide a foundation for the management of foodservice operations.
- Students will engage in learning activities that provide a foundation for the management of lodging operations.
- Students will acquire an understanding of the importance of tourism and the hospitality industry’s role in supporting this vital economic force.
- Students will acquire, integrate, and evaluate a core set of business skills necessary to successfully operate a hospitality organization.
- Students will demonstrate effective written and oral communication.
- Students will demonstrate quantitative reasoning and critical thinking skills needed to make sound business decisions.
The Hospitality and Restaurant Administration department is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Programs in Hospitality Administration (ACPHA). It has been continuously accredited since 1992.
Mission of the Hospitality and Restaurant Administration Department
The Hospitality and Restaurant Administration Department at Missouri State University is committed to creating an environment of academic excellence. We prepare our students to be ethical leaders in the hospitality and tourism industries by providing an environment where meaningful learning and development is a priority. We serve our constituencies through quality teaching, community engagement, and relevant focused research.