Dear Friends of the Honors College:
This is a very exciting time in the evolution of the Honors College! We are happy to share with you some recent successes of which you should be aware:
- For the second time in the last several years we have seen record enrollments and the student population in our program is fast approaching 1300 students! That’s a dramatic increase from a program that began with eighty-seven students back in 1987.
- We have exceptional faculty across eighteen academic departments who offer unique and challenging academic opportunities to our honors students.
- Thanks to the generosity of Rich and Doris Young we have two professorships in honors that have enabled special opportunities for innovative teaching and scholarship.
- The Honors College now facilitates the publication of LOGOS: A Journal of Undergraduate Research, which provides Missouri State undergraduates with a unique opportunity to publish and share their scholarly excellence with the world.
- In recent years our honors students and faculty have, for the first time ever, attended and presented at professional conferences.
- We also had our very first honors study away class: students spent about three weeks in and around Rome studying ancient Roman culture through the artifacts and ruins.
- Finally, our graduates are competing for prestigious international fellowships, enrolling in top-ranked graduate programs, and assuming positions of leadership in the public and private sectors.
As you can see, the Honors College continues to offer outstanding students an outstanding undergraduate experience – one laden with unique and life-changing opportunities. Unfortunately, as you are no doubt aware, higher education budgets across the country are being dramatically decreased. Neither Missouri nor Missouri State University is immune to the fiscal challenges of these difficult economic times. Because we know that the Honors College experience is something that you value, we are asking your help in sustaining and adding to our academic and developmental opportunities. Please consider supporting the Honors College today. Even a donation of $10 can have a dramatic effect on the future of our students and our program. Your donations are fully tax-deductible and by reducing our dependence upon public funding, you will be contributing in a tangible way to provide the innovative opportunities to our students that make the MSU Honors College one of Missouri’s most progressive institutions of undergraduate education.
Art L. Spisak, Ph.D. Scott Handley
Director of the Honors College Assistant Director of the Honors College