First-Year Programs is committed to assist new students in achieving a successful transition to Missouri State University’s community of scholars.
This mission is realized through the following means:
- Promoting a deeper understanding of the Public Affairs Mission and its wider societal impact through a critical analysis of a common reader
- Helping students build the necessary skills to be academically successful
- Assisting students to establish campus connections and form a supportive network of faculty, staff, and other students
- Developing ethical leaders and positive role models through the Peer Leader program
- Offering professional development opportunities for instructors to collaborate and enhance their pedagogical skills
Through the administration of GEP 101: First-Year Foundations, Peer Leader program, and instructor professional development, First-Year Programs serves as an academic cornerstone to assist students in attaining the University’s guiding purpose, which is “to develop educated persons.”
GEP 101 is an integrative and interdisciplinary experience which addresses public affairs issues and individual choices promoting academic success.
IDS 310 is required for students who are selected as Peer Leaders. Trained Peer Leaders work collaboratively with GEP 101 Instructors to serve as role models, assist with class activities and teaching, develop positive relationships with new students, and serve as resources for informing students about campus activities and services.
Dates to Remember
GEP 101 Instructor Kick-Off Meeting
Tuesday, August 12, 5:00pm-6:00pm
Submit Fall 2014 syllabus/policy statement
(Electronically to First-Year Programs office)
Friday, August 8, 2014
Sharing Information with GEP 101 Instructors and Students Policy
Due to the volume of information sharing requests targeting GEP 101 instructors and students, the First-Year Programs Department asks you to submit information to email@example.com no later than Monday of the week to be distributed in our Friday instructor updates. Note: FYP cannot guarantee all information will be shared, and it is prioritized to align with course learning goals and relevance to first-year students. If you wish to distribute a flyer we request you submit a PDF format; preferably in a smaller file size (e.g., less than 1 MB). Thank you for your cooperation, as this helps us manage the flow of information to our instructors.
Dr. Mike Wood, Director firstname.lastname@example.org
Tracey Glaessgen, Assistant Director email@example.com
Departmental Email: firstname.lastname@example.org