Description: This scholarship was created in perpetuity as an international scholarship program to enable outstanding graduate students from outside the United Kingdom to study at the University of Cambridge. The Trustees are required to award scholarships on the basis of a person's intellectual ability, leadership capacity and desire to use their knowledge to contribute to society throughout the world by providing service to their communities and applying their talents and knowledge to improve the lives of others.
Dollar value: The scholarship covers the full cost of study at Cambridge for a single person in terms of all approved University and College tuition fees, a maintenance allowance (£8,800 for 12 months); a further discretionary allowance for study-related activities (£2,200 per year) and one return economy airfare between the UK and the Scholar's normal country of residence.
Number of scholarships: 100 new scholars each year.
- The Gates Cambridge Scholarships are available for graduate study or for study for a second Bachelor's Degree as an Affiliated Student at the University of Cambridge.
- Applicants from every country of the world, except the United Kingdom, are eligible to apply.
- Candidates should normally be under the age of 30.
- To qualify for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship, students must be admitted to Cambridge through the University's normal academic procedures. Consequently, applicants must meet the academic criteria for admission specified by the University. Candidates must be well prepared for the course for which they are applying at Cambridge.
- All candidates must have, or expect to obtain before beginning study in Cambridge, a Bachelor degree, or its equivalent, from a recognized university.
- Candidates will be expected to have excellent transcripts with high GPA scores showing evidence of sustained achievement in study.
Application procedures: Applicants from the United States of America who have not previously studied at the University of Cambridge who wish to apply for admission as a graduate student and for awards offered by the Cambridge Trusts must complete and submit a Graduate Admission and Scholarship Application Form (GRADSAF) to the Board of Graduate Studies.
The GRADSAF form is available in hard copy from the printed version of the Graduate Studies Prospectus 2010-11; it can also be accessed electronically by downloading the GRADSAF form as a pdf document or by completing the GRADSAF form online (£25 fee)
National Deadline: October 16, 2012
Gates Cambridge Trust
PO BOX 252
Cambridge CB2 1TZ England