Awarding Outstanding Students
There are many resources available to students with disabilities at Missouri State University, but one of the most valuable tools for any student can be financial aid to support their educational efforts. Missouri State University supporters have created scholarships for those with disabilities. Those scholarships, their requirements, and instructions on how to apply are listed below.
Students should also be aware that there are nearly 850 donor-funded scholarships at Missouri State that are awarded based on area of study, academic performance, involvement, leadership, high school attended, area of residency, etc. All those scholarships can be applied with the same application through which you will apply for disability scholarships on the new online Scholarship Manager system. Again, instructions on applying are provided below.
Graduate Scholarship for Enhancing Diversity*
$1000 per semester
Up to 15, with up to five reserved for eligible graduate students pursuing degrees/certificates in teacher education
A diverse graduate student population benefits all students, enhancing cultural competence by embracing differences. The ideal candidate for this scholarship can contribute to increased multicultural awareness on campus through his/her life experiences demonstrating the ability to overcome adversity.
The application must include the following:
- The Graduate Scholarship for Enhancing Diversity Application
- Current résumé
- Two letters of recommendation (sent by their authors)
- Letter of interest, including why you believe that you are well qualified for this scholarship, and summarizing your career goals and relevant experiences, significant accomplishments, and unusual academic opportunities. Have you experienced, observed, or fought against discrimination and oppression socially, legally, politically, educationally and/or socio-economically? How will you contribute to diversity on campus? (two page limit)
Completed applications must be received in the Graduate College by April 1. All materials, except letters of recommendation, should be received at the same time.
Applications can be submitted via email to GraduateCollege@MissouriState.edu (with a subject line of "Diversity Scholarship"), or by mail to the Graduate College, Carrington Hall 306, 901 S. National Avenue, Springfield, MO 65897.
- Have an undergraduate degree from a US college/university recognized by Missouri State University
- Be admitted into a graduate program by the application date and enrolled in courses for this program by the start of classes
- Have an undergraduate GPA (total or last 60 credit hours) of 3.0 or a graduate GPA (at least nine credit hours) of 3.0
- Take at least six credit hours per semester, except final semester if fewer are needed
Scholarships can be renewed for a maximum of 4 semesters for degree-seeking students (2 semesters for certificate students), and can be used in fall, spring or summer semesters. Recipients can be student employees on campus, but cannot hold a graduate assistantship or full-time position.
*Here, diversity includes both individual differences (e.g. personality, learning styles, and life experiences) and group/social differences (e.g. race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, country of origin, and cultural/political/religious affiliations) that will add to the service and/or pursuit of learning.