University general baccalaureate degree requirements must be met for completion of the dietetics program. Some dietetic program requirements may also be used to fulfill university general baccalaureate requirements.
A total of 125 hours must be completed to earn a degree in dietetics. Of the 125 hours, 40 hours must be upper-division course work.
- General Education Requirements - see General Education Program and Requirements section of catalog
Specific General Education requirements: BMS 110(4); CHM 116(4) and 117(1); MTH 135(3); PSY 121(3); and either SOC 150(3) or ECO 155(3) or AGR 100(3) or REL 131(3).
- Major Requirements
- Biomedical Science Courses: BMS 110(4), 230(3), 240(3), 305(1), 306(1), 307(4), 308(4), 330(3), 331(4), 332(3), 333(3), 335(3), 338(1), 340(2), 345(3), 430(3), 438(5), 445(3), 532(3), 536(4), 539(1), 546(4), 550(2), 595(1)
- Public Affairs Capstone Experience will be fulfilled by completion of BMS 345(3).
- Related Requirements: ACC 109(1); BIO 210(3); CHM 116(4) and 117(1); CHM 201(3); CHM 352(3); ENG 321(3); MGT 340(3); MTH 340(3) or 545(3) or PSY 200(3) or QBA 237(3) or SOC 302(3); MTH 135(3); PSY 121(3); SOC 150(3) or ECO 155(3) or AGR 100(3) or REL 131(3).
- General Baccalaureate Degree Requirements - see General Baccalaureate Degree Requirements section of catalog
If you have a ServSafe® certification you may forgo the required BMS 338 course, as long as the certification is valid for two years past your estimated graduation date.
You must maintain a GPA of 2.9 or higher to graduate from the dietetics program and to obtain a verification statement to be eligible for an internship to complete the program.
After you have successfully completed the program a verification statement will be issued by the program director. The verification statement indicates that you have completed all coursework for a didactic degree in dietetics as dictated by the ACEND and are eligible to apply for an accredited dietetic internship.
Students with prior degree seeking verification statement
In order to receive a verification statement from Missouri State, students not seeking a second degree must:
- Complete a minimum of 18 hours of upper level dietetics courses at Missouri State to include BMS 532, BMS 536, and BMS 546.
- Must have completed a minimum of a 300 level anatomy and physiology course(s) within the past 5 years
- Maintain a cumulative and institutional GPA of 2.9 or above
- Must have a C or better in all courses required
- Must meet courses and course requirements necessary to meet all KRDs as required by the 2012 ACEND Accreditation Standards as determined by transcript review and meeting with the program director.
A returning student may be asked to refresh skills, meet recency of education requirements, or demonstrate competence at the level to which they are re-entering. A meeting with the program director should be scheduled immediately when the student decides to pursue this route.
Those seeking a verification statement or completion of degree from the University must be interviewed and have courses completed at their previous University reviewed by the program director. All other academic requirements must also be met. The program director will review the Commission on ACEND International fact sheet.
It is the policy of the Missouri State didactic program in dietetics that you meet all KRDs in the 2012 ACEND Accreditation Standards. You may have to retake program required courses if you completed the course more than five years ago. Professional work and/or graduate work in closely related fields may meet some requirements for required courses.
Visit the dietetics student handbook for more information concerning the program and program requirements.