To begin course work in the field of Dietetics, you initially need to be admitted to Missouri State. Before completing 75 credit hours, you must also be admitted to a degree program. Students who do not meet GPA admission requirements by the time they reach 75 hours may not be permitted to continue with the major.
- Completion of at least 45 hours
- BMS 240, BMS 305, BMS 308, CHM 116 and 117 or (CHM 160, 161, 170 and 171) with grades of "C" or better in each of the courses.
- A Missouri State GPA of at least 2.90; and a combined (Missouri State and transfer) GPA of at least 2.90. Exception to the minimum GPA may be made in unusual cases, but exceptions will be limited to no more than five percent of the total number of students admitted to the program. Students must be aware that a GPA of less than 3.00 is not considered competitive for internships.
When applying to the program students are required to:
- Purchase the dietetics program shirt for use when participating in course related events. Prices may be obtained from the department.
- Provide evidence of immunization or vaccination for vaccine-preventable diseases to include MMR, tetanus, and a complete Hepatitis B series including a titer demonstrating immunity.
- Provide evidence of health insurance, including hospitalization. A comprehensive student group health and accident insurance policy is available through Missouri State University.
- Provide documentation of negative tuberculosis status or evidence of appropriate follow-up.
- Submit a drug screening test and criminal record check and receive response that the applicant has not been convicted of any crime pursuant to Section 324.217 or other disqualifications that would prohibit licensure as a registered dietitian.
- Provide a signed copy of the Dietetics Honor Code.
The admission process
To gain full admittance into the Dietetics program, follow the steps below:
- Declare or change your major to Dietetics by visiting the Academic Advisement Center, University Hall 109
- Meet with your assigned advisor to discuss admission requirements and to develop a plan of study
- Complete the program’s admission requirements
- Work with the Dietetics department to complete the Application to a Degree Program form to update your record
When you declare your major, you will be listed as a pre-major until you satisfy all admission requirements.