To begin course work in communication sciences and disorders, you initially need to be admitted to Missouri State. Before completing 75 credit hours, you must also be admitted to a degree program.
Declaring your major
You can officially declare or change your major as communication sciences and disorders by visiting the Academic Advisement Center located in University Hall, Room 109. For more information, contact the Academic Advisement Center at 417-836-5258.
- Attainment of at least a 3.00 GPA (based on a 4.00 scale). For students with transfer credit, a combined GPA of at least a 3.00 must be achieved for all transfer coursework plus all coursework attempted at Missouri State.
- Completion of at least 50 semester hours including the following General Education courses with grades of "C" or better. Select from the courses below to be eligible for consideration for admission to the major. Students pursuing the accelerated Doctor of Audiology degree have different requirements that other students. Contact your advisor to determine eligibility to pursue the accelerated Doctor of Audiology degree. Course options were selected to fulfill Knowledge and Skills in Communication Sciences and Disorders (CSD). Contact your advisor to determine any available course substitutions.
- Chemistry and/or Physics*
- Students pursing the accelerated Doctor of Audiology degree must complete a chemistry course and a physics course selected from CHM 116(4) and 117(1) or CHM 160(4) and 161(1); and PHY 100(4) or PHY 123(4) or PHY 203(5)
- All other students select one course from CHM 107(3), CHM 116(4), PHY 100(4), PHY 203(5)
- Students pursing the accelerated Doctor of Audiology degree must complete BIO 121(4) or BMS 110(3) and 111(1).
- All other students select one course from BIO 101(3), BIO 121(4), or BMS 100(3) and 101(1) or BMS 110(3) and 111(1)
- College level mathematics course
- Students in the Audiology option (both accelerated and traditional) must select from MTH 135, 138, 181, 261, or 287.
- Students in the SLP and EDHH options may select any course that meets the General Education Focus on Quantitative Literacy requirement.
- Complete the Knowledge of Human Cultures section of the General Education Program (12 hours).
*For students pursing the accelerated Doctor of Audiology degree, at least two of the three required science courses must include a laboratory component. For all other students, at least one of the science courses must include a labortory component.