If a student does not attend by the second class meeting of a semester or summer session, and has not informed the departmental office of the intent to remain in the course, the instructor may institute proceedings to drop the student from the class. A faculty member may not institute drop proceedings after the second week of class. A student cannot drop a course merely by not attending classes. The student who is dropped by the instructor will be notified of such action by the Registration Center.
Instructor drop forms can be obtained by contacting the Office of Records and Registration
Student Change of Schedule (Add/Drop)
Students are expected to complete the courses for which they register. Failure to properly drop or withdraw from classes will result in the assignment of F grades for those classes, as well as a possible financial obligation.
Prior to the beginning of the semester:
Adds, drops, and section changes may be processed in any authorized registration center.* Students must complete a short form and present photo identification. To add a course which requires permission to enroll, the student must first obtain a Course Permission form from the department office which offers the course. Students are responsible for ensuring compliance with stated prerequisites. The department office may or may not drop students who do not meet prerequisites.
After the Change of Schedule period:
To drop a course: Same procedure as above except that drops may only be processed by an authorized registration center during this time.
To add a course: In general, only courses which have not yet begun (e.g., second block courses, short courses, workshops, independent study, etc.) may be added after the Change of Schedule Period has ended. Department approval is required to add a first block or full semester length class beginning on day 6 of the fall or spring semester, and to add a second block class on day 3 or beyond of the second block period. The department may also require instructor approval.
- Go to the department which offers the course to seek approval. If approval is granted the department office will complete an Add/Section Change form and affix the department signature and stamp. Course Permission forms are not required during this period.
- Take the completed form to an authorized registration center with photo identification for processing.
- Prior to the end of the Change of Schedule Period: Dropped courses will not appear on the transcript.
- After the Change of Schedule Period: Courses dropped up through the No Penalty Drop/Automatic N Deadline for that course will have a grade of N. This is week 2 through 9 for full semester courses during fall and spring semesters; other course lengths are treated proportionally.
- After the No Penalty Drop/Automatic N Deadline: Courses dropped up through the Last Day to Drop or Withdrawal deadline for that course will have either an N or F grade assigned by the instructor on the final grade roster. An N indicates that the student was doing passing work at the time of the drop. An F indicates a failing grade for the course, and is calculated into the grade point average. This period is from the 10th week through the next to last week of the semester for full semester courses during fall and spring semesters; other course lengths are treated proportionally.
- No drops or withdrawals are allowed after the Last Day to Drop or Withdrawal deadline for the course.