The 2015-2016 Tryout Packet can be downloaded and printed from the following link. All tryout candidates including returning members must submit a completed tryout packet to particpate in the tryout process.
The Missouri State University Cheerleaders lead our fans on game day in Football, Volleyball and Basketball. Each team member can expect to particpate in the following:
- All Home Football Games
- About 1/3 of the Home Volleyball Games
- About 1/2 of the Men’s Home Basketball Games
- About 1/2 of the Women’s Home Basketball Games
Travel to away football games and post-season basketball tournaments is usually limited to select couples per trip. In the fall, we typically select 9 guys and 7 ladies (plus 2 alternates) to compete at UCA nationals in Disneyworld in mid-January.
Tryout Packet Requirements
To be eligible for the Missouri State Cheerleading Team and to participate in tryouts, the following items must be submitted by Friday, April 17th, 2015.
- Completed Tryout Application
- Wallet Size Photo of yourself
- Incoming Freshmen & Transfer Students: Proof of Acceptance to Missouri State University for Fall 2015
- Incoming Freshmen & Transfer Students: Letter of Recommendation from Current or Previous Coach
- Current Students: Copy of your current class schedule and fall 2015 schedule.
- Current Students: Copy of unofficial transcripts from my.missouristate.edu
- Signed Liability Release Waiver
- Photocopy of your health insurance card (front and back)
- Current physical clearing you to participate in cheerleading (tumbling, stunting, lifting, running, etc)
- Processing Fee: $25.00 per applicant (Make checks payable to Missouri State University)
Missouri State Cheerleaders must maintain the following academic requirements to remain eligible to participate as a member of our team.
- Maintain a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester. If your total credit hours drop below 12 at any point during the semester, you will be removed from the team.
- Maintain a semester and cumulative grade point average of no less than 2.0.
All candidates participating in the tryout process must sign a contract agreeing to the final decision of the coaches and judging panel, and acknowledge that the team selection is final and that no further recourse is warranted.
The contract also includes an agreement to follow the University Code of Conduct and fulfill each requirement stated therein to receive the stated benefits of being an MSU Cheerleader. Under the agreement, team members also agree that if they terminate membership at any point prior to the completion of the entire season, that all expenses and benefits provided on their behalf by the University are to be paid back by them in full to the University. This includes quitting, being removed from the team, or losing academic eligibility.
Up to 10 Men and 10 Women will be selected during our tryout process to represent Missouri State as the official cheerleaders for the 2015-2016 season. We may elect to leave positions unfilled based on the results of the tryout process.
Candidates are selected based on a variety of factors. We consider more than just current skill level; we consider potential, team partnering, physical fitness, work ethic, and attitude. Because we partner everyone at games and we do lots of all-squad stunts, coed stunting ability or potential for it is very important. Also note that all returning team members must try out every year.
Ladies: In general, we’re looking for the “whole package.” The ideal candidate is in great shape, presents themselves well in front of a crowd, cheers with energy and enthusiasm, is easy to coed stunt with, has a solid standing tuck, and strong running tumbling on non-spring mats.
Guys: In general, we really like to see guys who have at least toss stunts and can tumble, but we take many guys who are stronger in one area and weaker in the other. We may also take guys who have little to no cheer experience if they show potential by being strong and athletic.
Pre-arranged or Video tryouts will be considered on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of the Head Coach. These are reserved for extenuating circumstances and must be completed BEFORE our official tryouts.
Depending on the number of participants, we may have a cut after any session. We will announce at the beginning of the session if we will be making a cut at the end.
To be eligible for the team, candidates are required to attend all of the following sessions. If you have a conflict with any of these sessions, you must have prior permission from the Head Coach to miss any portion and remain in consideration for the team.
ALL SESSIONS OF TRYOUTS ARE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC
Friday April 17th McDonald Arena, Main Floor
5:30pm Registration Begins
6:00pm Interviews and Instruction Begin
Saturday April 18th McDonald Arena, Main Floor
10:00am Informational Meeting
10:30am Game Day Material
1:00pm Stunts and Tumbling
6:00pm Final Clinic Practice: Master Material and Skills
Sunday April 19th McDonald Arena, Main Floor
8:00am Doors open – Stretch /Warm up
10:00am Tryout Session 1: Game Day
1:00pm Tryout Session 2: Stunts and Tumbling
5:00pm Tryout Results Posted Online
6:00pm New Squad Orientation
Tryout Skills (In order of actual tryout)
Game Day Material
Sideline: Run or tumble out and do a traditional Missouri State sideline along with a stunt. Judges will grade your energy, enthusiasm, and your ability to lead a crowd while looking confident.
Fight Song: After the sideline, the fight song will begin playing. You will perform the fight song with motions and stunts. Judges will be looking for sharp motions, the ability to stunt to count, confidence, and enthusiasm.
Stunts: Each participant will be scored on the following stunts:
- A Single Leg Stunt
- A Twisting Dismount
- A Toss Stunt
- Note: The required stunts can be combined. For example: Toss Heel Stretch-Full Down
- 1 Optional Stunt: Show us your best stunt!
Tumbling: Each participant will be scored on the following skills:
- Standing Handspring
- Standing Tuck
- Standing Handspring Tuck
- Running Tumbling: Your Best Running Pass
All skills will be performed on a non-spring cheerleading floor.
Final Day Appearance
Be game day ready! You will be judged on your appearance so make sure you look your best!
Ladies: Cheer shoes, spandex shorts, sports bra and t-shirt. Hair half up, curled with a white bow, makeup and maroon lipstick. No jewelry.
Guys: Athletic shoes, shorts & t-shirt. Clean shaven (no facial hair) and clean cut hair style. No jewelry.
Here are some tips on preparing for tryouts:
- Tryouts are not a safe environment to attempt new skills. Our clinics will provide you with time to work on these. During the formal tryout, only throw what you know you can hit.
- Be in the best shape of your life!
- Guys, especially high school guys, lift weights and eat well to gain as much strength as you can. It will make stunting easier and make you more valuable in pyramids and baskets. Exercises for guys include standing dumbbell military press, squats, and power cleans.
- Ladies, we recommend you practice coed stunt as much as possible either through private lessons or at a cheer open gym in your area. There’s no substitute for air time.
- If at all possible, stunt with a variety of partners: good, bad, big, and small. This will improve your overall technique. Girls especially need to be careful not to stunt with only one guy, and also make sure to really learn proper technique and not unknowingly let the guy do all the work. Don’t try to skip ahead to the elite stunts even if a guy is able to throw you through them — make sure you first learn how to hold yourself tight and centered without balancing; learn a powerful toss, walkups, twisting cradles, etc. Our tryout format tests girls’ overall stunt technique and experience, so prepare accordingly.
Squad members are required to be in Springfield over the summer for periodic summer practices. The following dates are MANDATORY:
June 11-14: Summer Practice Session
July 21-27: Summer Practice and UCA College Camp
August 11-16: Summer Practice, New Student Convocation, Bear Bash, etc.