The process below applies to anyone who has completed a program for initial certification as a teacher, counselor or administrator.
Please begin by going to the following website: http://www.dese.mo.gov/
- Click “Web Applications Login” (big green button in the middle of the screen - You may have to use the arrow buttons to scroll to this button.)
- Enter your DESE User Name and Password and click "login"
- Under the Heading "Office of Educator Quality", click on "Educator Certification System".
- New Applications (Click the “black triangle”to the left of #3):
- Click “Initial Professional"
- Do NOT worry about the education section - we will fill that out for you.
- Fill out the Professional Conduct information
- Type of Application
- If you are getting a Teaching certificate, select “Professional”
- If you are getting a Counseling, Psych Examiner, or Speech Language Pathologist Certificate, bubble in “Student Services”
- If you have earned an Administrative (Principal or Superintendent) certificate, select "Administrator".
- If you select either Student Services or Administrative, you will then see a section for Occupational Experience. Enter any relevant work experience in this section. Those selecting a teaching certificate will not see this section.
- Read the Sworn Statement
- Release of Educational Information: Check “I Accept”.
- Select the institution where coursework was completed for this area of certification (Drop down menu). All Missouri State Program Completers will select "Missouri State University".
- Click “Submit to Institution”
- Click “OK”
- You have finished your application and may now log out of the system.
Your application will automatically be submitted to the work log for the institution you selected in step 8 above. That application will be processed as soon as you have completed your last requirement and are eligible for initial certification. For more information on when your certification will be processed by Missouri State, please view the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for Upcoming Graduates website.
How long does the process take?
The certification process requires several steps, and takes several weeks to complete. Following are the steps we will take to certify you, and a basic timeline. For example, let's say you complete your last requirement at the end of spring semester:
- During your last semester of classes, you will complete your DESE online profile and will submit an Application for Certification. Once submitted, your application will appear in the "work log" for Missouri State on the DESE website.
- After graduation, the Teacher Certification Office will verify through transcripts that you have successfully completed all coursework for certification. Grades are not available on your transcripts until approximately two weeks after the end of the semester, so nothing can be done to process your certification until that time.
- Once we verify that all requirements have been met, we will order a new Missouri State transcript for you and will complete your certification application on the DESE website. Once we hit "submit", it will go into the DESE work log. We will then mail your transcripts to DESE as verification of your completed coursework.
- At the same time, we will send you a confirmation letter stating that you have been recommended for certification in Missouri. The letter will also state your content area, grade level and effective date of your certificate. There will also be instructions for checking the status of your certificate at DESE online. This letter can be given to your hiring school district as verification that you will be certified until your actual certificate comes.
- Approximately 2 weeks from the date we submit your application to DESE, it should be approved and your certificate will be available to view online by visiting the same site where you established your profile and submitted the application. Effective Spring 2011 DESE will no longer be mailing any paper certificates. Both the certificate holder and the school district will only be able to view and print the certificate from the DESE website.
If you change your address after submitting your online application, please make sure to notify our office immediately. We will then need to go into your online application and edit your address information. Changing your address with Missouri State is also important, but does not change what you put on your online application with DESE.
What are the deadlines for certification?
When recommended for certification, your actual certificate will be back-dated to a pre-determined date based on when it was processed. Here are the deadlines:
Received by DESE
|December 1st - April 30th||Dated January 1st|
|May 1st - July 31st||Dated June 1st|
|Aug. 1st - November 30th||Dated August 15th|