Steps to Complete a Substitute Certificate
- 1. Application from DESE profile
- 2. Completion of FBI Fingerprinting background check using registration code 2301.
- 3. Submission of original transcripts to DESE showing completion of a minimum of sixty (60) college semester hours.
Before applying for a substitute certificate, ensure that a DESE Online Profile has been created. Once that step is complete, follow the process below to apply for a Substitute Certificate.
1. Log in to DESE Web Applications with user ID and password, then choose the Educator Certification System link located on the User Applications page.
2. Find "Applications" in the left menu and choose "Substitute Certificate".
3. Complete and submit the Substitute Certificate application. A processing fee of $50.00 is required which may be paid by credit/debit card.
4. Obtain official transcript. Log into My Missouri State -->Academics tab -->Request Transcript. There is a $5.00 charge for your transcript. A transcript can also be obtained by going to the Registrar's office in Carrington Hall, Room 320.
5. Write your Educator ID number (found on DESE profile) on the outside of the transcript envelope and mail to: Educator Certification, P.O. Box 480, Jefferson City, MO 65102-0480
This is the ONLY application you will need to complete in order to obtain a substitute certificate. Do not fill out any other applications at this time, as they will be returned to you.