These instructions assume you have already completed your DESE Online Profile. If you have not yet completed this step, please visit the DESE Online Profile website.
Steps to Apply for a Provisional Teaching or Student Services Certificate:
Please begin by going to the following website: http://www.dese.mo.gov/
- Click "Educator Certification" in the center of the page.
- From this page, click on "Educator Certification System" in the center of the page. You can also click on "Web Application" on the lower right. Both will take you to the login screen.
- Enter your DESE User Name and Password and click "login"
- Under the Heading "DESE Web Applications", click on "Educator Certification System".
- On the left side of the screen under "New Applications", select "Provisional Cert"
- Review your Profile information. Edit if changes need to be made. If not, go to the next step.
- Skip your Education section. This will be updated by the Teacher Certification Office.
- Answer all 4 of the Professional Conduct questions. If you indicate a "Yes" for any of the questions, you are then required to type comments in the box below that question before continuing.
- Under "Purpose of Application", you MUST select "Provisional Certificate with an Academic Contract between District, Institution and Educator". You will then select your school district and your institution from the drop-down boxes. You district is the school district that has hired you. Your institution is always Missouri State University.
- Once you select Missouri State University, you will get a drop-down box to indicate your subject area/grade level. Select the program that you are currently pursuing for certification at Missouri State. If you are in the MAT, SEACT or VIP program, choose the program that has "alternative" after it. Otherwise, always select the program that has "regular" after it.
- Read the sworn statement, release of educational information, and click the "I accept" box.
- Click "Submit and Pay".
- You will then be required to pay the $50.00 fee for this certificate.
Your application will be sent to the school district work log. They will complete their section and then will submit your application to Missouri State University. This next step is VERY IMPORTANT:
- Contact the school district and ask them to submit their part of the Provisional Application being sure to indicate what you are teaching in the following way: "certification area - ALTERNATIVE". They must mark the application alternative if you are on a Provisional Certificate. If they don't, DESE will not accept the application and it will be returned to you.
- Once the application arrives in the Missouri State work log, we will complete the application, submit it to DESE and send you a verification letter via email. You can forward that email to your principal or superintendent as verification that your certification has been processed.
You do NOT need to send DESE transcripts or a Program of Study. Those items will be submitted by Missouri State.