OF THE BOARD OF GOVERNORS
MISSOURI STATE UNIVERSITY
December 21, 2007
1. Roll Call
Present — Mr. Michael Duggan, Vice-Chair of the Board (by conference call)
Mr. Gordon Elliott, Governor (by conference call)
Ms. Mary Sheid, Chair of the Board (by conference call)
Ms. Phyllis Washington, Governor (by conference call at 3:10 p.m.)
Present — Michael Nietzel, President
Greg Burris, Vice President for Administrative and Information Services
Paul Kincaid, Chief of Staff
Drew Bennett, Chancellor of the West Plains Campus
Clif Smart, General Counsel
Kent Kay, Chief Financial Officer
Ken McClure, Associate Vice President for Administrative Services
Doug Sampson, University Architect
Jim Baker, Vice President for Research and Economic Development
John McAlear, Secretary of the Board
2. Presiding — Ms. Mary Sheid, Chair of the Board of Governors, called the Executive Committee meeting to order at 3:03 p.m. in Room 203 of Carrington Hall on the campus of Missouri State University in Springfield, Missouri.
3. Sponsored Research — Dr. Jim Baker presented a resolution (Item II.A.) approving subcontracts for VESTA Regional Centers of Excellence. The partner institutions are: Northeast Iowa Community College (total 4-year subcontract of $278,508); Redlands Community College, Oklahoma (total 4-year subcontract of $390,060); and Rend Lake, Illinois Community College (total 4-year subcontract of $386,969). Approval of item II.A. was moved by Mr. Elliott and seconded by Mr. Duggan; those in favor - Governors Duggan, Elliott and Sheid; opposed - none; absent - Governor Washington.
4. Facilities & Equipment — Mr. Greg Burris presented the following resolutions for the Committee’s consideration:
Architectural and engineering services in conjunction with the Gohn-Wood House and Hass-Hoover Hall Projects on the West Plains Campus (Item III.A.); Dake Wells Architecture, for a fee of $496,300 plus reimbursable expenses. Additional services of up to $50,000 as described in this agreement may be authorized and approved as necessary.
Engineering and architectural services in conjunction with the end wall repairs on Shannon Tower at Blair-Shannon House (Item III.B.); Structural Engineering Associates, Inc., for a lump sum fee of $137,000 plus reimbursable expenses. Additional services of up to $50,000 as described in this agreement may be authorized and approved as necessary.
Consent to the granting of an alcoholic beverage license by the City of Springfield to Coesters Sports Bar & Grill, 631 S. Kimbrough (Item III.C.).
Approval to increase the project budget for the Phase 2 Renovation of The Roy Blunt Jordan Valley Innovation Center (Item III.D.). This $570,000 increase brings the total project budget to $4,095,000. The majority of this amount ($480,000 to $500,000) will be contributed by Crosslink (a corporate affiliate) to cover the cost of finishing out their space.
Authorization to accept property transfer from the city of Springfield (Item III.E). Under the requirements of the Cooperative Agreement between the City of Springfield and Missouri State University, dated October 18, 1996, the City is transferring three real estate parcels described as 922 East Normal, 940 East Normal, and 1000 East Normal to the University.
(Ms. Washington joined the conference call during this agenda item.)
Approval of the above resolutions was moved by Mr. Duggan and seconded by Ms. Washington; a roll call vote was taken, those in favor - Governors Duggan, Elliott and Washington; those opposed - none.
5. President’s Report --- Dr. Michael Nietzel commented that there would need to be another Executive Committee meeting sometime during the first two weeks of January to address: a) a food service contractor for the JQH Arena; and b) football coaches contracts.
6. Adjournment — Ms. Sheid adjourned the conference call meeting at approximately 3:20 p.m.
John W. McAlear
Secretary of the Board