For the Missouri State School of Anesthesia you must complete a combination of 66 credit hours of didactic and clinical course work in residence.
- Students accepted into the program but who have not previously completed clinical training through an accredited clinical program in nurse anesthesia are required to complete 66 credit hours, which must be in residence. Students who have completed clinical training in nurse anesthesia and who have passed the national certification examination for nurse anesthesia (CRNAs) but who have not completed an appropriate master’s degree must complete at least 33 credit hours in residence.
- Core Course Requirements Total 24-25 hrs
|Course Code||Course Title||Credit Hours|
|BMS 700||Introduction to Graduate Studies in the Biomedical Sciences||3 hrs|
|BMS 620||Medical Cell Biology OR||3 hrs|
|BMS 622||Molecular Cell Biology||4 hrs|
|BMS 665||Human Cardiopulmonary Physiology||3 hrs|
|BMS 669||Neurobiology||3 hrs|
|BMS 661||Medical and Pathologic Physiology||4 hrs|
|BMS 727||Human Gross Anatomy||2 hrs|
|BMS 602||Special Topics in Biomedical Sciences II||1-4 hrs|
|BIO 650||Statistical Methods for Biologists OR||3 hrs|
|MTH 645||Applied Statistics OR||3 hrs|
|PSY 711||Introductory Statistics for Education and Psychology||3 hrs|
- Clinical Core Total 38 hrs
A clinical component is required. This requirement may be met either by having passed the national certification examination for nurse anesthesia or by enrolling in the following courses.
|Course Code||Course Title||Credit Hours|
|ANE 702||Clinical Conference I||1 hr|
|ANE 705||Clinical Conference II||1 hr|
|ANE 708||Clinical Conference III||1 hr|
|ANE 711||Clinical Conference IV||1 hr|
|ANE 714||Orientation to Clinical Anesthesia||1 hr|
|ANE 720||Basic Principles of Anesthesia||3 hrs|
|ANE 726||Introduction to Clinical Anesthesia||2 hrs|
|ANE 732||Advanced Anesthesia Principle I||6 hrs|
|ANE 735||Clinical Practicum||16 hrs|
|ANE 744||Pharmacology in Anesthesia||2 hrs|
|ANE 750||Advanced Anesthesia Principles II||4 hrs|
- Research Requirement (total 4 hours). Each candidate will be assigned to a clinical research project. The candidate must complete one seminar by enrolling in BMS 797, Non-Thesis Project (2 hrs) and a research involvement by enrolling in BMS 798, Research (2 hrs). A formal presentation of the project is required.
- Students who are already a CRNA: A certified registered nurse anesthetist (CRNA) may enter the program and must complete the core course requirements, the research requirements, and electives chosen in consultation with the student’s committee to total at least 33 hours. CRNA students must provide a clinical transcript from their former anesthesia program. Students must complete all cases/procedures that allow them to fulfill the minimum clinical requirements currently set forth by the Council on Accreditation. At least 6 hours of clinical practicum, ANE 735, are required.
- Additional requirements or limitations.
- The candidate must maintain a minimum GPA of at least 3.00 each semester for the degree
- All requirements must be satisfied within eight years
- Matriculated students must enroll on a full-time basis and progress through the program with their class
- All course work must be approved by the Program Director
- The candidate must pass oral and written comprehensive examinations
- No more than 4 hours of C grade is allowed during the program
- No grade below a C grade will be allowed at any time during the program
- Candidates who do not achieve the academic standards set forth by the program will be immediately dismissed
- During the clinical phase, the student will carry liability insurance purchased through the AANA
- A $2500.00 program fee will be applied per each semester: Fall, Spring and Summer
For course descriptions, view the biomedical sciences section of the graduate catalog.
In the MSNA program you must complete a research component which totals four credit hours. Everyone is assigned a research project. Two courses are designed to help you complete this project. A formal presentation is required for completion of the program. These courses include the following:
- BMS 797 Non-Thesis Project (2 hours)
- BMS 798 Research (2 hours)
Competing your master’s degree in nurse anesthesia
If you are a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist who has already completed your clinical courses through an accredited clinical nurse anesthesia program and passed the national certification examination for nurse anesthesia, but have not received your master’s degree you must complete a minimum of 33 credit hours of didactic courses and elective courses. This includes the research component required to receive your master’s degree in nurse anesthesia. Transcripts from your previous nurse anesthesia clinical program of study must also be received and six hours in the clinical practicum are also required.
Additional academic requirements
- You must maintain a 3.00 GPA each semester, complete the program in eight years and progress with your class.
- Coursework must be approved by the academic advisor (link to program contact page) for the School of Nurse Anesthesia at Missouri State.
- You must pass all oral and written examinations given by the department.
- You must not receive a C grade for more than four hours of coursework.
- No grade below a C will be accepted by the program.
- If you fail to meet academic requirements you will be dismissed from the program.