In order to be considered for admission into the Missouri State School of Nurse Anesthesia you must have completed the following requirements.
Notice: This program is no longer accepting applicants. For a career as a Nurse Anesthetist see our Doctor of Nurse Anesthesia Practice program.
All applicants must meet the following requirements:
- A bachelor's degree in an area of life sciences, nursing, or chemistry from an accredited institution in the U.S. or equivalent training in a foreign university.
- Undergraduate work must include inorganic chemistry (4 hrs), organic chemistry (4 hrs), microbiology, human anatomy, human physiology; and genetics (strongly recommended).
- A minimum GPA of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale for the last 60 hours of undergraduate course work. Emphasis will be placed on science courses.
- Submission of official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores taken no earlier than five years prior to application with a preferred minimum score of 153 in Verbal Reasoning, 150 in Quantitative Reasoning, and 3.5 in Analytical Writing, or successful passing of the CCRN exam.
- Current licensure as a registered nurse in the U.S.
- A minimum of one year experience in an acute care setting is required; preferences may be given to applicants with more experience.
- Current BLS, ACLS, PALS certification are required.
- A personal interview with a screening committee.
- The application deadline is November 1. Interviews are scheduled within three months after the application deadline.
- Students admitted into the program will be required to undergo a criminal background check before matriculation.
- Upon acceptance to the program, the student will pay $200.00 to the AANA for an associate membership (American Associate of Nurse.
- Students accepted into the program will be required to pay a $500 placeholding fee known as the Confirmation Deposit.
In addition, to the admission requirements you must also have completed the application and admission requirements for both the Missouri State University Graduate College and the Missouri State University School of Nurse Anesthesia. Students accepted into the program will also have to pay a confirmation deposit as a placeholder in the program.
Admission to the Graduate College
Before you can be admitted in to the nurse anesthesia program you must submit an application along with a $35 application fee and be accepted to the Graduate College at Missouri State University. You should also submit your GRE scores as this time.
Missouri State University
901 S. National Ave.
Springfield, MO 65897
Admission to the School of Anesthesia at Missouri State
Applications to the School of Anesthesia are accepted year round. Deadline for consideration for the January class is July 1st; and for the August class it is November 1st.
- Please review and follow the steps listed on the application checklist. This checklist has information on additional materials that are required along with the application.
- Download, print and complete the application return to the Missouri State School Anesthesia along with the $25 application fee. Please make sure the checks are made out to Missouri State University.
Along with the application the following materials should also be submitted
- Submit a 250 word essay on your personal goals, qualification for admission and work history.
- Send your official transcripts with proof that you passed the prerequisite courses for the program: microbiology, anatomy, physiology and organic chemistry.
- Send three reference letters that are typed on official letter head. One letter should be from your official supervisor.
Submit all application and admission materials to:
School of Anesthesia
c/o Biomedical Sciences Department
901 S. National Ave.
Springfield, MO 65897
All completed applications will be reviewed and interviews will be awarded. Interviews are held on a Saturday morning on the Missouri State campus. A panel of interviewers questions the candidate, and together makes recommendations for admission to the school of anesthesia. Results of interviews will be given in writing.
Students accepted into the program will be required to pay a $500 placeholding fee known as the Confirmation Deposit. The link to pay for this is found here: