The Academic Advisement Center is pleased to announce that Joshua Smith from Biomedical Sciences and Scott Handley from the Honors College were selected as the 2014 “Curtis P. Lawrence Excellence in Advising” award recipients. Please join us in congratulating Joshua and Scott!
In recognition of outstanding academic advising, two Missouri State University Curtis P. Lawrence Excellence in Advising awards will be presented during the spring semester 2014. One will honor a faculty advisor, and one will honor an advisor who is a member of the professional staff. Each recipient will receive a $1500 cash award, presented at a reception to honor all Master Advisors.
Qualifications for Nomination:
- Nominee must have a minimum of two years of service to Missouri State at the time of nomination as a full-time employee with on-going academic advising responsibilities and currently assigned advisees.
- Nominee must be a current Master Advisor.
- Nominee must not have received the award in the previous three years.
If you need to know whether an advisor is qualified to be nominated, contact Kathy Davis at 836-5258 or KathyDavis@missouristate.edu.
Criteria for Selection:
- Knowledge of campus information and resources and use of that knowledge in helping students.
- Knowledge of major and career-related information and academic policies and use of that knowledge in assisting students.
- Demonstration of advising as a priority activity.
- Use of innovative advising techniques and/or development of advising materials or systems.
- Effective documentation of advising sessions through “Advising Notes.”
- Reasonable accessibility to advisees and effective use of available time with advisees.
- Efforts to create positive relationships with students.
- Support of advisor training and development programs and efforts to improve advising services at Missouri State University.
Questions regarding the Curtis P. Lawrence Excellence in Advising Awards and the Master Advisor Program should be addressed to:
Kathy Davis, Director of the Academic Advisement CenterUniversity Hall, Room 109417-836-5258