Our new award, the Excellence in Advising Support award, is designed to honor an individual who has made a significant contribution to support the field of academic advising and to support academic advisors in their ability to assist advisees. The first recipient of that award is Brian Edmond from Computer Services. Please join us in congratulating Brian!
The success of academic advising at Missouri State University depends on the contributions of academic advisors, student advisees, and many helpful individuals on campus who support academic advising through their work. Because the Provost’s Academic Advising Council recognizes how much we rely on individuals across campus who are not academic advisors to accomplish our mission, we are offering for the first time a Missouri State University Excellence in Advising Support award to be presented during the spring semester 2013. The Provost’s Academic Advising Council chair will present a plaque to an individual, team, or office who has made a significant contribution to support the field of academic advising and, equally importantly, to support academic advisors in their ability to assist their advisees. The first recipient(s) of this award will be recognized during the Master Advisor reception on March 21, 2013.
The selection committee will be comprised of four Academic Advising Council members (two staff members and two faculty members) and the previous award winner. For spring 2013 selection, the committee is comprised of Tracey Glaessgen (chair), Stephanie Marinec, Tom Tomasi, Diane Leamy, and Nathan Hoff.
To nominate an outstanding individual, team, or office, please follow the application guidelines below:
- The nominator needs to write a letter of recommendation detailing the contributions of the nominee.
- The nominator or nominee has the option of including up to four supporting items, such as letters of recommendation, brochures, manuals, news releases, and/or website link(s).
- Please use Times New Roman, 12 font type for letters of recommendation/nomination.
- The nominator needs to submit six copies of the completed nomination to Kathy Davis, Academic Advisement Center, University Hall 109. To be considered, nominations must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. Friday, January 25. Nomination packets will not be returned.
Qualifications for nomination:
- This award recognizes significant contribution(s) to academic advising at Missouri State University by an individual, an office, or a team.
- The nominated individual(s) must not have any assigned advisees.
- The nominated individual must be employed at the university as a full-time faculty or staff member for a minimum of two years at time of nomination. If an office or team is nominated, the office or team must be in existence for a minimum of two years at the time of nomination.
- The nominator needs to write a letter of nomination for the nominee.
- Current members of the Provost’s Academic Advising Council are not allowed to nominate or to be nominated.
Excellence in advising support can take many forms. The Provost’s Academic Advising Council wishes to recognize individuals, teams, or offices whose work has a substantial, positive impact on the delivery of academic advising services at Missouri State University, either through participation in a particular project or through sustained outstanding service to advisors and students.
If you would like to know if an individual, team, or office is qualified to be nominated or if you have questions pertaining to this award, contact Kathy Davis at KathyDavis@missouristate.edu or 417 836-5258.