What's Springfield like?
Not too big and not too small
Springfield is Missouri's third-largest city, with about 350,000 people living in the metropolitan area. By comparison, the Kansas City area has over 2 million people. So Springfield is large enough to let you feel the electric vibe of a city, but small enough so you won't feel lost or in danger. Springfield's violent-crime rate is well below the national average.
Thousands of places to eat, shop and have fun
- 500 restaurants
- 1,500 retail shopping outlets
- Four large movie-theatre complexes
- The Springfield Cardinals baseball team
- A performing arts center (on campus) that draws Broadway plays and nationally known entertainers
Convenient to other metro areas
Springfield is fewer than three hours from Kansas City, about three hours from St. Louis, two hours from the Lake of the Ozarks, three hours from Columbia, and about 45 minutes from Branson. The city's regional airport, which is served by major airline carriers, can quickly get you to great destinations nationwide.
Plenty of part-time job opportunities
Springfield's economy is the fastest-growing in Missouri. Businesses are expanding and new businesses are coming into town regularly. If you want to work part-time while you're in school, you'll have no problem getting a job. Many top corporations from the Kansas City area such as Cerner Corporation and Sprint recruit and employ Missouri State graduates.
Springfield's location in the Ozarks gives you access to all the boating, canoeing, kayaking, camping, hiking and mountain-biking you could ask for. It's less than an hour's drive to Branson, one of the nation's top vacation destinations.
Why do nearly 1,200 Kansas City area students choose Missouri State?
- Missouri State University offers a distinctive mission and remarkable education.
- Missouri State University offers an affordable choice and unbeatable value.
- Missouri State University offers memorable experiences and lifetime success
Meet our Kansas City representatives