First-Year Programs Advisory Committee
Minutes of March 7, 2008
Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 3:25 p.m. in UNVH 113 by Tom Kane.
Betty Evans, Tom Kane, Thomas Lane, Pauline Nugent (arrived later part of session), Cindy Pemberton, Helen Reid, Art Spisak, John Steiert, Ellena Stotler and Mike Wood
Motion by Thomas Lane to accept minutes (distributed via email) passed unanimously.
Discuss/develop guidelines for transitional year—IDS 110 in Fall 2008
Discussed pedagogy of
Added to policy document—Chickering's Seven Principles of Good Practice in Undergraduate Education
- Orientation contact (things class will learn in respect to orientation)
- Public Affairs introduction (things to do in respect to public affairs)
- Special interest concept (passionate engagement from faculty)
- General instructional recommendations (aims of course in terms of academic active learning)
- Peer instructional strategies (getting faculty interested in attending workshops and sharing strategies)
Emphasized active learning strategy process in class (students more engaged and more motivated)
- Encourages contact between students and faculty,
- Develops reciprocity and cooperation among students,
- Encourages active learning,
- Give prompt feedback,
- Emphasizes time on task,
- Communicates high expectations, and
- Respects diverse talents and ways of learning.
Textbooks in Fall 2008
- Less orientation
- Clarify Public Affairs mission
- Integrate variable content
- Make the course more structurally active
Instructors are not required to use a textbook in Fall 2008.
Instructors and students will have access to "The Missouri State Experience" online tool. However, a recommended list of "student success" textbooks is provided, and these will be on reserve in Meyer Library. Instructors may choose to have their class use a textbook. (Textbook selections need to be made by May 1st.) Instructors may also choose to use a series of articles, etc., in lieu of a standard textbook.Adjournment
Motion by Art Spisak seconded, and meeting adjourned at 4:30 p.m.Next Meeting
Friday, April 18, 2:30-3:30 p.m., UNVH 113