First-Year Programs Advisory Committee
Minutes of January 18, 2008
Call to Order
3:15 p.m. in UNVH 113 by Gary Brock, Chair
Thomas Lane, Cindy Pemberton, Helen Reid, Ellena Stotler, John Steiert, Cathy VanLanduyt and Mike Wood
Motion by John Steiert to accept minutes (distributed via email) passed unanimously.
Update on GoalQuest
Jan 21-23—Cindy Pemberton, Mike Wood, Rob Hornberger and Don Simpson to meet with GoalQuest reps in New Jersey
GoalQuest will be piloted in IDS 110 this spring.
Addressing Faculty Concerns During Transition—Fall 2008
Prepare documentation for faculty
Tasks Prior to Next Meeting
- Goals and ObjectivesUnder each objective list 3-4 caveats—how faculty might incorporate discipline perspective, common reader and guidance on public affairs
- Sample SyllabusSuccinctly state this course is not an introduction to major.One-half course content may be variable topic
- FAQ—"How much of my discipline can I bring in"?"Variable topic—How do I incorporate it into course"?"How does sustainability fit in"?"How much of course content is common reader"?
- Annotated bibliography of textbooks used by other institutionsInstructor has choice of textbook
Committee to send comments to Mike Wood regarding
- Clarification of goals and objectives
- Statements to faculty for inclusion in Sample Syllabus and FAQ
Helen Reid will check on overload policy for faculty.
Thomas Lane moved to adjourn meeting at 4:30 p.m.
Friday, February 1, 3:15-4:30 p.m., UNVH 113