First-Year Programs Advisory Committee
Minutes of April 18, 2008
Call to Order
3:00 p.m. in UNVH 213 by Pauline Nugent
Meeting was preceded (2:30-3:00 p.m.) by guest speaker—Dr. Tim Lenoir, Professor, Duke University, Department of History
Pauline Nugent, Cindy Pemberton, Art Spisak, John Steiert, Cathy VanLanduyt and Mike Wood
Minutes accepted unanimously as distributed.
Updates—faculty/staff recruitment efforts, workshops, textbook
Percentage of sections taught by
- Total sections assigned 103
Faculty—65%, Staff—17%, Advisors—9% and TAs—9%
- Number of individual instructors 66
- Staley seminar sessions received excellent reviews
- Sporadic attendance at all workshops; some instructors have not attended any
- Some workshops have been filed
- No particular textbook mandated; instructor may choose textbook or readings
- Instructors should submit list of readings to First-Year Programs by August 1
A committee has been charged with customizing the Staley textbook.
- Encouraged to use Dr. Connie Staley's textbook, Focus on College Success
Mike Wood to draft statement re: Public Affairs Mission to include in textbook
- Two week deadline to ensure July delivery
- Need to trim down book: best option—delete chapters
- May add up to 32 pages of Missouri State University specific informationWorking on the three areas of project:
- Civic engagement—Elizabeth Burton and Bernie McCarthy
- Ethical leadership—Earle Doman, Steve Robinett and Libby Rozell
- Cultural competence—Charlotte Hardin, Madeleine Kernen, Juan Meraz and Wes Pratt
Strategies for Faculty Senate this fall? (GEP 101)
Mike Wood to submit following to Budget and Priorities Committee:
Quorum not present—request committee members respond regarding recommendation via email
- Stipend for teaching IDS 110: Recommendation $1,750/section (minimum $1,500/section)
- Build a collegial group including portfolio for peer review. After three years with good evaluations and successful student outcomes, stipend will increase to $1,800/section.
- Statement detailing total program costs (current and anticipated)
Cathy VanLanduyt moved to adjourn meeting at 4:00 p.m.
No other meetings scheduled for this semester.
Note: Meeting scheduled for May 2nd cancelled; time conflict with the Provost Special Forum: Facilitating Academic Transitions. (All IDS 110 instructors are expected to attend.)