First-Year Programs at Missouri State University is looking for students who have achieved academic excellence and are willing to serve as role models for incoming freshmen students. If you would like a new and exciting leadership experience, consider becoming a Peer Leader for GEP 101.
Service to others
Helping students (answering questions, being a resource, and solving problems); becoming acquainted and working with lead instructor; assisting with class activities and teaching; developing positive relationships with students; making a difference in lives of freshmen and seeing progress in their adjustment to college.
Meeting with other Peer Leaders; sharing experiences (effective techniques, helpful resources, and problem solving); making new friendships; having a positive support system; networking; and developing leadership skills.
Responsibilities of a Peer Leader
- Attend and participate in all class periods of the assigned GEP 101 section.
- Serve as a role model for new students in academics, personal conduct, and leadership.
- Assist in planning the syllabus and course content--meeting each week with the GEP 101 instructor.
- Assist instructor by conducting tours and acquiring speakers.
- Present information or material and lead occasional class discussions.
- Serve as liaison between instructor and students.
- Enroll in IDS 310, Peer Leadership.
- Minimum of 3.00 GPA
- High standards of ethics and integrity.
- Respectful of others.
- Positive attitude about the University and its faculty, staff and students.
- Strong work initiative.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to accept personal responsibility.
- Experience a unique service opportunity.
- Learn new leadership skills.
- Obtain credentials for resume following graduation.
- Earn one credit hour for IDS 310 each semester of service to a maximum of three credits at no additional cost. (if scholarship doesn't cover it, the first-year programs office pays for the course)
- Receive textbooks and Peer Leader apparel.